This is the first post in a new series I’m starting called Feel Good Friday where I will commit to doing something positive for myself at least once a week. As women, it’s easy to get bogged down with daily duties and responsibilities, leaving little time for ourselves. This can make us feel drained, depleted and downright discouraged so I’ve decided to be intentional about taking care of me. I’ve chosen to treat myself on Fridays because it’s the end of the week, the beginning of the well-anticipated weekend and probably when I’ll need a little pick-me-up the most. You can choose any day of the week that works best for you but make sure it’s a day that isn’t already jammed-packed with things to do. For better chances of keeping the commitment, you should choose the same day each week so that it becomes a permanent part of your weekly schedule.
Feel Good Friday is not necessarily about rewarding yourself with something monetary or unhealthy (although it can be). It should be something that is going to empower, inspire and energize you, something that makes you happy, or even something that challenges your insecurities. No matter what you do, it should make you feel good. Needless to say, we may be motivated by something different each week as life is constantly changing and so are our needs. Below are some ideas to make you feel good.
- Go on a nature walk or run or bike ride
- Go to a place in your city or nearby that you normally don’t visit. For example, a museum, a zoo, a park, a lake, or a historical attraction and if you’re into photography, make sure to take your camera.
- Spend time/have lunch with a girlfriend who is sure to make you laugh and give good conversation.
- Buy yourself a little something like a cute pair of earrings, an inspirational book or magazine, some new makeup, or even a bouquet of flowers from your local grocery store to brighten your home.
- Go to the movie of YOUR choice; not your kid’s, not your husband’s, but yours. This may mean you go solo, but there are days when that’s a welcomed occasion for me.
- Treat yourself to your favorite dessert or meal with zero guilt. And take to time to enjoy it in the park or a nice restaurant that you wouldn’t normally visit with the kids.
- Write down in a gratitude journal all the blessings you have in your life. You are guaranteed to get up feeling hopeful, inspired and rejuvenated.
- Get a manicure or pedicure or both.
- Get your hair done with either a trim, a blowout or anything that will leave you feeling pretty and positive.
- Get a massage. I can go on and on about the benefits, but if you’ve ever had one, you already know. If you haven’t, then you must.
- Go on a date with your significant other or friends where you can dress up, look lovely and have a good time.
- Take a warm,detoxifying bath infused with relaxing essential oils like lavender or ylang ylang.
These are just a few self-love suggestions but whatever you choose, it should leave you feeling renewed and refreshed.
Today, I chose to spend some time with my grand-dog, Jordie. She is sweet, unassuming and a breath of fresh air. She is a pleasant reminder of how simple life should be. Happy Friday!